Since June 2015, the Alexa Fund has been supporting entrepreneurs and startups that are fueling speech technology advances and voice application innovation. In addition to the core venture capital investing program, the teams runs the Alexa Accelerator & the Alexa Fellowship programs.
The Alexa Fellowship is a program that includes the Alexa Graduate Fellowship and the Alexa Innovation Fellowship. The goal of this program is to support universities and entrepreneurship centers to support research in conversation AI, educate students about voice technology through hands-on curriculum, and empower them to create the next Alexa-powered voice innovation. Over time and at scale, we hope to see students who participate in this curriculum become successful entrepreneurs with companies that we can one day evaluate for investment.
We are looking for an experienced and self-directed Sr. Program Manager whose primary focus will be to lead and grow the Alexa Fellowship program. They will also provide program management support for other Alexa Fund programs. This role will offer a mix of program management and planning, day-to-day operations, and customer relationship management. We are looking for a candidate with a strong understanding of academic environments, new technology products, and start-up communities. The ideal candidate will need to be able to work in a fast moving environment and prioritize effectively, make decisions and gather resources to support program needs. This person will work across teams including the Alexa Fund, Alexa marketing, Alexa Speech Science and other Alexa product teams. This role will be a part of the Alexa Fund Portfolio Management team.
Key responsibilities for the position include:
· Identify, nurture and manage relationships with leading academic institutions globally in the fields of text-to-speech (TTS), natural language understanding (NLU), automatic speech recognition (ASR), conversational artificial intelligence (AI), and other related engineering fields
· Identify, nurture and manage relationships with leading university entrepreneurship centers
· Define academic and entrepreneurship programs in collaboration with Deans, Professors, and leadership at higher-education institutions around the world
· Recruit stakeholders and marshal resources to support the Alexa Fund Fellowship across the Alexa Fund, marketing, Alexa science and product teams
· Collaborate with the appropriate internal teams including Amazon Legal to manage contract negotiations
· Collaborate with the Alexa Fund to evaluate projects that may be a potential fit for Alexa Fund investment
· Partner with PR to develop public facing messaging and awareness for the program and its outcomes including university, professors, and student testimonials.
· Drive changes in the existing processes to improve our customer satisfaction metrics
· Develop a framework to scale Alexa Fund annual programs (e.g. Portfolio Day, Business Development Day, and Fellowship Innovation Day) to align internal and external teams for establishing long-term portfolio company relationships
· Manage administrative tasks such as event logistics, device procurement, content creation, and more
· Report on metrics and work with internal stakeholders to optimize our programs
· Manage budget, forecasting and reporting on a recurring basis
· Bachelor’s Degree
· 5+ years experience in program management, marketing, product management and/or a related field
· Knowledge of the education industry and new technologies
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills – especially with senior management both internally and externally
· Experience working with or at university corporate relations departments
· Demonstrable history of defining strategy and executional excellence
· Proven experience managing end-to-end programs
· Decisive, action-oriented, and able to motivate, inspire, and lead cross-functional teams in different geographies and business units
· A strong leader and excellent communicator who can drive consensus and articulate program recommendations and tradeoffs to senior executives
· Ambitious self-starter with demonstrated ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and execute to get the job done
· Ability to own and drive a multiple of high-impact programs at the same time
· Attention to detail, excellent organization skills, and ability to manage multiple high-impact programs at the same time
· Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, innovative, and rapidly evolving industry and business organization
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.