Since 1994, Amazon has continuously expanded its product selection and innovated on behalf of customers in pursuit of its ambition to become earth’s most customer-centric company. Its worldwide network of fulfilment and customer service centres delights customers around the world, both directly through Amazon and by supporting the thousands of business partners who reach their customers through Amazon Marketplace or through any of our creative content channels. Today, Amazon’s rapidly expanding consumer product range offers books, video games, consumer electronics, apparel, jewellery, grocery and Amazon Kindle among many others. Amazon’s presence in Europe is growing fast with customers across the continent, offering millions of products and a long term vision to allow every consumer to find anything they want to buy online.
Amazon's evolution from Web site, to e-commerce partner, is driven by the spirit of innovation and customer obsession that is core to the company's DNA. The world's brightest technology minds come to Amazon to research and develop technology that improves the lives of shoppers, sellers, content creators, and developers around the world.
As Amazon rapidly grows the business and team in the UK and Ireland, we are seeking a Senior Manager Public Policy, UK and Ireland to represent and advocate the company’s policy positions in the UK. S/he will lead Amazon’s public policy and government affairs strategy, with an emphasis on managing Amazon’s relationships with the UK and Irish political stakeholders. S/he will be a member of the European and Global Public Policy teams and will work closely with Amazon’s business, legal, corporate communications and other teams in the UK, across Europe and the globe. This role is based in our UK Corporate Office in London.
The Senior Manager, Public Policy, UK and Ireland will:
· Proactively monitor and analyse policy, regulatory and broader political developments in the UK and assess their impact on Amazon;
· Establish and maintain relationships with political and a other relevant stakeholders at all levels in the UK and Ireland and effectively represent the company’s position;
· Identify, anticipate, report and advise on political and legislative developments, risks and opportunities and provide strategic guidance;
· Work closely with internal stakeholders, including Amazon’s senior management, to develop messaging and policy positions and forge key relationships with political stakeholders;
· Represent Amazon in trade associations and other external fora; and
· Own and lead specific elements of our overall policy priorities for the region and be able to advise teams across Europe.
· Work closely with the European and Global public policy teams on political and legislative developments in the UK and Europe.
· Serve as a spokesperson both internally and externally on the company's UK and Ireland public policy agenda.
· Work closely with Amazon’s senior management and as member of the leadership team in the UK.
· Retain and manage outside consultants and advisors.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
· Leadership experience advancing a public policy agenda in the UK.
· A strong network with political stakeholders in the UK, and (preferably Ireland too), with a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and comfortably at the highest corporate and political levels.
· An extensive understanding of the UK political process and climate, with an informed European and global perspective, combine with sound and practical business judgment and common sense.
· An ability to anticipate emerging issues of importance to the company, communicating their impact on the company to senior management, and developing a strategy to address them effectively.
· Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers.
· A track record for effectively leveraging resources including internal teams, external consultants, coalitions, associations, and other relevant organizations.
· The ability to manage a large number and variety of mission-critical projects, working independently and often in ambiguous environments.
· The ability to persuasively communicate complex and technical concepts and issues to political stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes.
· Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
· Maintain highest professional levels of ethical conduct and integrity.
· Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
Bachelors degree required preferably in a relevant discipline. MBA, legal, or other advanced degree advantageous.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon managers:
· Exhibits excellent business judgment
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Expects and requires innovation of their team
· Thinks big and has convictions
· Is action and results oriented
· Is highly analytical and structured
· Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others