We are looking for a Manager, Public Policy to join our growing public policy team to help lead state and local engagement and public policy activities related to Alcohol Regulation. This role will report to the Director, US Public Policy.
The Manager will be a highly visible position that will create, execute, and manage key public policy issues related to Alcohol Procurement and Sales. This position will work collaboratively and transparently with business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. The Manager will assess and communicate potential administration activities back to the business and the public policy team, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions, and manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives. The Manager will manage consultants, trade associations and coalition partners. They will participate in key trade association and industry coalition committees and other programs to advocate legislative and regulatory priorities.
At least 8+ years of public policy experience with lobbying and/or commensurate government experience. Strong skills in advocacy and using spoken and written rhetoric to persuade and inform. A demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate, state government, and regulatory agency levels. This position will have a geographic focus on states in the eastern half of the US but an ability and desire to travel nationwide is required.
Focus and Deliverables:
· Work collaboratively and transparently with the Americas Public Policy team and the Legal team to ensure alignment between core alcohol business priorities and public policy goals.
· Represent Amazon’s policy positions before state and local governments.
· Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy and regulatory landscape of alcohol evolves.
· Ensure policymaker awareness of Amazon’s beer, wine and spirits business models.
· Effect change and drive policymaking that benefits our customers.
· Manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and initiatives in concert with business objectives.
· Experience in the wine, beer, spirits industry a plus, passion for the industry essential.
· Strong network of alcohol regulators and state legislators preferred.
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels. You can create factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging, and you can persuasively deliver it to relevant audiences. You can interject your point intelligently, concisely, and in a friendly way.
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
· Self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results.
· Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers. You can think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment / decision-making skills, and political acumen. You can intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
· Exhibits excellent judgment
· Hires great people. Develops great people.
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
· Thinks big and has convictions
· Is action and results oriented
· Is highly analytical and structured
· Has the ability to inspire passion in others
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation