Do you dream of using technology to help one of the world’s largest companies make better decisions about their sustainability, at scale, globally? Amazon’s Sustainability team is looking for a Software Development Manager to build and own a team reinventing how we use technology at Amazon’s speed and scale to help minimize the impact of our operations on the world around us. As the world’s most customer-centric company, with customers including consumers, sellers, manufactures, regulatory agencies, and shippers world-wide, Amazon has the combination of opportunity, passion, and resources to build a new generation of sustainable, industry-leading solutions using a wide range of data-driven and intelligent technological and business capabilities.
As Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for a software development team developing new real-time data collection, analysis, and auditing workflows integrated with internal and external sources from all areas of Amazon’s operations. You and your leaders will partner with a wide variety of cross-cutting programs, including Transportation, AWS, Social Responsibility, Environmental Sustainability, and Business Development programs to build reusable and extensible systems supporting a variety of authoritative data sources that give insights into our environmental impact for every product Amazon sources, ships, or sells. Your team will be innovating with the latest Amazon technologies for data collection and analysis, and will be using the scale of Amazon’s catalog and supply and fulfillment systems to drive new innovations.
As the ideal candidate you will be experienced in managing a multi-discipline organization, including front-end and back-end software engineers, QA engineers, contractors, and technical program managers. You will have a proven track record of shipping complex software solutions through an agile methodology. You will have the ability to dive deep into the understanding of problems in order to help your team make the right technical decisions for the product and the business. You will have a proven track record of developing the career of your direct reports. You will also be a strong communicator and will have proven abilities in managing through ambiguous situations.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
· Manage your team into a highly performing engineering organization.
· Define and drive your long term product strategy based on your relationships with key customers and technology partners.
· Architect and deliver Amazon's next-generation technologies to help solve unique challenges at Amazon’s scale.
The ability to communicate clearly and concisely both written and orally is a key competency as is demonstrable skill as a self-starter. A passion for sustainability, or knowledge of the field, is great to have!
· Bachelor degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· 8+ years of software development experience.
· 3+ years of people management experience.
· Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
· Experience of having worked in at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Java or C++.
· Proven track record of shipping large complex scalable systems/applications in an agile environment.
· Experience with professional software engineering best practices such as Agile project management, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong leadership, project planning and execution skills.
· Ability to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels.
· Master degree preferred.
· Experience with large scale distributed systems.
· Experience of building solutions using AWS technologies.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age