Do you believe cloud computing will be a disruptive force in industry and education? Do you want to architect and develop new tools to help institutions, educators, and students prepare for the cloud-enabled workforce of tomorrow? In this position, you will own the development of a technical vision to build out a new platform to support AWS Educate, our program to enable students and educators to learn on AWS and develop key cloud skills.
As the Senior Software Development Engineer, you will provide overarching technical leadership and ownership over the design, architecture, development, delivery, and operation of the software behind AWS Educate. You'll be building new software designed to take advantage of the latest AWS offerings and provide a top-flight user experience, completing the transition off of our legacy system.
A successful Senior Software Development Engineer will have a broad array of experiences, exceptional design skills, an excellent ability to solve problems, good communication skills and a desire to be a key technical leader. The software you will be responsible for will require a breadth of technical development knowledge. Daily work will involve interacting with engineers, designers, stakeholders, and managers.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Math, related fields, or equivalent experience.
· 8+ years industry experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer.
· Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full software development lifecycle, end-to-end, from scoping, planning, conception, design, implementation, and testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Demonstrated proficiency in at least one modern language such as Java, Python, C++, or C#, including object-oriented design.
· Experience building large-scale software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
· Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end software systems and all points in between.
· Experience driving the architecture, engineering and software design of large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software applications, databases, tools, systems, and services using service-oriented architecture, object-oriented design and distributed programming.
· 10+ years industry experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer.
· Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers or software developers in all aspects of their engineering duties.
· Experience communicating with users, software development engineering teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features and technical designs.
· Experience with data modeling for NoSQL databases such as Amazon DynamoDB.
· Experience with TypeScript and React.js.
· Experience with web application security, especially identity and authentication protocols.
· Experience designing applications for a global audience.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially the ability to deliver high quality documents at an appropriate level of detail.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role