We are looking for an Art Director to join Amazon Game Studios in Orange County for the Lord of the Rings game! Our studio is home to New World, a multiplayer survival adventure we released in Alpha in September 2018 and have been operating and growing 24 x 7 ever since. We are on a growing stack of cloud connected development tools and services, and working to advance the amazing cultural experience of gaming, from broadcasting and big worlds to large-scale social connections.
As Art Director Lord of the Rings, you will rely on your personal artistic mastery and production experience to develop a world class art team and produce breathtaking visuals for the Lord of the Rings MMO. You will embed deeply with game teams to shape a unique visual style, innovate with new techniques and technologies, introduce production practices to empower artists and improve efficiency, and leverage lighting and rendering to deliver an impactful final result. You will invest in and grow new artistic leaders, and share a stake in the public expression of everything we do.
At Amazon, we believe the evolution that began with arcade communities a quarter at a time, growing to the massively shared live streams and online experiences of today, will continue to a future where everyone is a gamer, and every gamer can create, compete, collaborate and connect with others at massive scales. If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art, come join us!
· Mastery. Artistic Skill, Technique, Range, Media. From characters to architecture to worlds, you can do it all, and there are areas where you set extraordinary standards with your work.
· Leadership. Artist Leadership, Management, Growth and Development. You are an expert communicator; you build alignment, spot potential and grow talent.
· Ideas. Visual Ideation and Inspiration, Technical Innovation. You are an inventor, jamming visual design with ideas, and partnering with other disciplines to pioneer impactful new techniques.
· Style. Visual Design, Look Definition, Cross-Discipline Vetting, Art Bible. You can shape, define and evangelize an arresting visual style, carrying it through to every artistic sub-discipline.
· Execution. Art Production, Standards, Process, Practices and Schedule. You implement lightweight but complete production processes that drive efficiency and visibility.
· Polish. Rendering, Lighting, Composition, Materials, Post FX. You integrate the work product of multiple sub-disciplines, using advanced rendering tech to unify a cohesive whole.
As Art Director, you will report to the Studio Head at Amazon’s Orange County game studio. Your primary and ongoing deliverable is the artistic vision for the Lord of the Rings game; you will guide how that vision is developed, expressed, refined, produced and released. Below are the foundational responsibilities of the role.
· Vision. Establish, own and evangelize the artistic vision for our upcoming games.
· Culture. Nourish potential, hire, develop and promote artistic talent.
· Process. Define and implement pipelines that drive productivity and transparency.
· Tools and Technology. Collaborate across disciplines to improve quality and efficiency.
· Quality. Coach, mentor and feed back to increase quality and promote technique.
· Advocacy. Amplify the voice of artists in creative conversations that shape our products.
· 5+ years leading art for a major PC or console game release
· 5+ years game development experience in a senior artistic role
· 3+ years people management or mentorship
· 2+ released titles in an end-to-end artistic leadership role
· Arresting portfolio of visual contributions from standalone to concept to in-game
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent art education or experience
· Proven artistic leadership on one or more major releases from concept to customer
· Passionate creator with in-depth knowledge of world building, art production and runtime
· Direct tools experience in a major game engine and pipeline
· Strong presence and influence at all levels, from line developer to stakeholder
· 2 complete product cycles in an art leadership role on a major console or PC launch
· End-to-end IP development, worldbuilding, architecture design
· 5+ years in character design and development for high-end games
· Diverse costume, tailoring, fashion design
· Visual effects, UI, typographic and presentation design
· Full product cycle in art production management, process, tools development
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age