Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
We're looking for an outstanding senior engineer with a successful background in the development of complex space systems. As part of the Solar Array Design team, you will be responsible for ensuring the correct selection of solar cell technology and for detailed design of solar array that ensure best possible cost per watt of delivered power for the expected environment. This is very much a hands-on role for a highly creative and innovative individual covering research, design, prototyping, test, and qualification.
· Cell technology selection trades – accounting for all variables in the trade space.
· Pivotal role in engaging, evaluating, and selecting cell manufacturing suppliers.
· Compile models for cell /array degradation predictions, and verify models through analysis, test, and review of existing / historical data.
· Array Harness design trades and selection.
· Interfacing with Power engineers in selection of array power conditioning scheme – DET, MPPT, etc
· Reliability assessment / verification for high cycle count LEO mission ops.
· Delivering the array design that yields best possible cost per Watt, and Watts per unit area of Solar Array.
· Support manufacturing process development.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
· Experience in cell technology, quantum efficiency, cell construction.
· 7+ years experience in the design and successful build and test of spacecraft solar arrays, and associated hardware - space mechanisms, deployable structures.
· Experience in roles requiring collaboration across multiple disciplines with the demonstrated ability to advance the development while trades ongoing.
· Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, physics or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
· Experience with qualifying hardware for space, and associated standards.
· Experience in material selections for space applications.
· 5+ years of experience in CAD, FEA and mechanical analysis skills.
· Advanced degree (MS / PhD) in engineering or related field.
· Experienced in issue tracking applications (JIRA, TRAC).
· CAD skills – Siemens NX.
· Advanced FEA & Mechanical Analysis capability.
· 3+ years in a volume production environment (design / test / manufacturing).
· Your stuff has been to space – and operated as intended.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age