The Managing Editor, News will work on an exciting new opportunity within Ring to manage a team of news editors who deliver breaking crime news alerts to our neighbors. This position is best suited for a candidate with experience and passion for journalism, crime reporting, and people management. Having a knack for engaging storytelling that packs a punch and a strong nose for useful content are core skills that are essential to the success of this role. The candidate should be eager to join a dynamic, new media news team that is rapidly evolving and growing week by week.
· Manage quality assurance of all posted news alerts to ensure timeliness, efficiency, and accuracy
· Provide general assistance and oversight to the entire news team on an around-the-clock basis (standardized workflow, internal collaboration, and mentorship)
· Identify compelling and actionable new alert formats and test markets for pilot programs
· Work with product team to optimize CMS and provide solutions for necessary improvements
· Develop internal reports on news trends and relevant team statistics
· Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/English/Communications or equivalent professional experience
· 5+ years of experience in breaking news, crime reporting, and/or editorial operations
· 3+ years of people management and/or department leadership
· Deep and nuanced knowledge of American crime trends
· Organized, detail oriented, with excellent communication skills
· Demonstrate a positive, can-do, go-the-extra-mile attitude
· Strong news judgment that allows for quick decisions in a breaking news environment
· Provided direct, opinionated, and timely feedback to a team of writers/editors
· Utilized social media channels to gather breaking news
· Developed and distributed weekly performance reports
· Updated reporting practices and style guides
· Launched new projects or programs within a larger organization
Ring's mission is to reduce crime in neighborhoods and empower consumers by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities with its suite of smart home security products: Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Ring Stick Up Cam and the new Ring Floodlight Cam. With these security devices, Ring has created the neighborhood watch for the digital age and continues to keep homes around the world safe. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you're always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Ring Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age