This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
At Amazon Web Services (AWS) we are inventing the future of cloud computing with a team of builders who try new things and dream big dreams. Our web services provide a platform for IT infrastructure in-the-cloud that is used by hundreds of thousands of developers and businesses around the world. Ten years ago, we couldn’t have imagined how far we would come. Now we’re inventing for the next ten years and beyond. But it is still Day 1 for us, and we are looking for curious people to be part of our diverse teams of thinkers, testers, and builders.
The Software Development Manager is an experienced hands-on manager with a background in developing and delivering software that simplifies solutions for a broad set of related problems. You have a strong technical ability, great communication skills, and know how to inspire your team to achieve outstanding results in a fast paced environment. You have a track record of building and leading strong teams of talented engineers and you enjoy working with smart people. In short - you are a skilled leader capable of getting great things done for your customers. If it sounds like you - then read on!
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for an innovative and passionate manager to help us build a team that designs and implements configurable, federated, and horizontally scalable distributed systems for AWS. The role manages a team that operates remotely and works independently. The team builds services that interpret and process a very high volume stream of events; often bundled with low-latency/real-time analysis to detect security anomalies.
You can make a tremendous impact on AWS by helping us design and build systems at AWS scale, using a wide variety of technologies and working with a creative, passionate team. You can help AWS continue to grow and serve our customers well into the future.
· Adopt overall AWS plans for Business Technology Solutions and define your own team's future direction.
· Manage projects that deliver on commitments to our customers.
· Manage day-to-day activities of engineering team using Agile/Scrum methodology.
· Manage team's resources: hire, mentor, and grow the engineering team.
· Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical solutions. Be a hands-on technical leader.
· Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
· 4+ years of proven track record of hiring and managing high performing engineering teams
· 6+ years of experience in Software development and 4+ years as a Development Manager
· Experience with Linux/Unix systems
· Experience with SQL and No SQL data stores
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related degree
· Written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
· Expertise in OOP, Java or C++
· Experience building extremely high volume and highly scalable web services
· Experience building highly available systems and operating 24x7 services
· Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing
· Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role