Amazon Browser Integration Technologies team is adding a Software Engineer. If your expertise spans both front-end and back-end technologies this is a great opportunity to be the technology leader working with a group of ~40 very bright engineers. The group has a customer facing product used by tens of millions of customers worldwide, a HTML Platform, three complex services and a distributed, big data and analytics platform. If you are up for the challenge, you will be the lead engineer for any or all of them.
As a Software Engineer in Amazon, you will:
· be responsible for guiding the architectural decisions supporting this large, complex technology stack. You’ll contribute to or lead the design of our most ambitious and emerging systems design efforts.
· be part of the development of innovative new products that weave Social features into the Amazon site experience, and work across the organization to bring the broad array of programs into the mobile era.
· work with individual teams to ensure all of our systems can scale at a pace that matches the ever increasing demands of our rapidly growing Amazon retail business.
· identify and pursue opportunities to horizontally integrate technical solutions across our vertically oriented organization, and drive the encapsulation of existing functionality behind discrete services which form a part of our larger company-wide service oriented architecture.
· lead the proactive identification of common problem spaces across teams and ensure we build single, best-in-class solutions to meet common needs without undue restriction on the agility of individual business verticals.
In short, you will drive the direction and overall development of a world class technology organization and be at the center of all key system level decisions.
As such, you’ll be a technical leader across Amazon and help establish technical standards and drive Amazon’s overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You’ll work on Amazon’s hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. Amazon.com senior technical contributors are pragmatic visionaries who can translate business needs into workable technology solutions. Your expertise is deep and broad; you’re hands on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs.
As a Software Engineer you’ll be expected to:
· Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
· Contribute intellectual property through patent generation.
· Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
· Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
· Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
· Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other best in class automated marketing technologies.
· Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the Amazon developer community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
· Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader, builder and operator. You’ll have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or IT projects and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity, and demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.
· Bachelors of Science degree in Computer Science or related field
· Proven track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, high-quality systems
· Deep hands-on technical expertise in at least one major technical area: large scale Unix systems engineering, building complex distributed systems, building monitoring or management tools for large-scale environments.
· Experience managing complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
· Experience leading development life cycle process and best practices
· Experience with Agile Management (SCRUM, RUP, XP, Kanban), OO Modeling, working on Internet, Java, Linux, and database related projects
· Experience mentoring/training an engineering community on complex technical issues
· Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field.
· Experience working in a complex, service oriented software development.
· Experience working on automated, closed loop marketing technologies.
· Experience working with Big-data, Machine Learning, and using large-scale data repository for business intelligence.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.