At Amazon, our vision is to be Earth's most customer-centric company. Our passion for invention leads us to pioneer and globalize new businesses and customer offerings daily. As we rapidly become the world’s largest consumer of corporate services in many categories, the Corporate Strategic Procurement team is seeking a Global Category Manager to join our team in Arlington, VA.
This role is uniquely positioned at the nexus of business units across Amazon, and offers singular vision into a broad spectrum of cross-company initiatives and strategies on a global scale. Using this unique insight, the Global Category Manager will build and lead sourcing engagements for both existing and newly emerging categories of spend, as well as negotiate multi-faceted partnership agreements for Amazon’s high-growth businesses worldwide.
Global Category Managers are expert practitioners in creating competitive environments, and have a strong bias for decision-making rooted in data and analytics. They routinely influence C-level vendor relationships by advising senior Amazon leaders across multiple stakeholder groups on the direction of sourcing projects in support of business unit and corporate goals.
Successful candidates must work well in a fast-paced and often ambiguous arena, and will be rewarded by working alongside highly collaborative and entrepreneurial colleagues in an environment that feels much more “startup” than “big company”.
Spend categories under management include: Risk, Property Casualty Insurance, Actuarial Services, and Insurance Brokerage, Public Affairs, Tax, and Legal.
Primary responsibilities of this role:
· Establishing strong relationships with internal business stakeholders; building a strong understanding of strategic business direction, requirements and priorities across assigned suppliers and/or spend categories.
· Developing global sourcing strategies to deliver against business objectives for internal clients.
· Evaluating supplier core competencies and competitive positioning using industry cost models and bench-marking analysis.
· Managing the fundamentals of sourcing and supplier engagement activities including RFx, spend pattern analysis, contract analysis, bid evaluation, negotiations, and supplier consolidation.
· Working with business and finance leaders to identify and drive savings and controllership improvements, focusing on total cost of ownership.
· Providing guidance to internal stakeholders on procurement strategies; maintaining procurement ethics in accordance with Amazon’s global policies.
· Developing, implementing and managing robust market analyses / bench-marking processes; leveraging key-insights to inform and support the category strategy development process.
· Preparing and holding business reviews with stakeholders to review vendor performance, future opportunities, and/or challenges.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
If you are an experienced sourcing professional with a passion for serving customers and for driving change and impact on a global scale, then we would love to talk with you.
· 7+ years of relevant strategic sourcing experience, to include at minimum, 5 years in an indirect procurement function, at a multinational corporation, with global contracts.
· 7+ years of experience practicing best-in-class procurement processes (category management, bench-marking, should-cost models, RFX, reverse auction, contracting, etc.).
· BA/BS Degree.
· Master’s Degree (MBA/MS) preferred.
· Strong negotiator with proven experience in setting negotiation strategies and conducting negotiations.
· Extensive knowledge of the basic types of commercial agreement structures and the function and purpose of key legal terms.
· Strong experience assessing risk and concisely explaining complex issues to principal business owners.
· Extremely customer-focused, taking the time to understand the needs of the business.
· Experience working in a large, global, highly matrixed organization.
· Strong analytical skills including the ability to quickly synthesize, distill and draw conclusions on large amounts of disparate data.
· Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects requiring frequent communication, organization, time management, and problem-solving skills.
· Excellent written, oral and presentation communication skills.
· Passionate self-starter with the highest integrity and ethics.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age