Looking for a career at a company that seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company? If so, meet Amazon. Also fascinated by cultures, languages, and how they impact buying and selling in B2B around the world? If so, meet Amazon Business.
Over the past 20 years, Amazon has reinvented on behalf of the consumer and has become the largest internet retailer and marketplace in the world with over $100 billion in revenue globally. Businesses buy more than $1 trillion of everything from staples to DNA sequencers in the US alone. Launched in 2015, Amazon Business aims to reinvent the complicated world of workplace procurement and do for offices, hospitals, schools, and government agencies what Amazon.com did for home shoppers—make buying easier, faster, and smarter. Amazon is reinventing on behalf of customers who do business in many languages, across the US, Japan, Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain and India.
Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking an experienced Senior Localization Manager to mature and scale our localization capabilities, and ultimately to bring customers the right experience in their native language. The role sits within the Amazon Business User Experience team as the localization owner defining and deploying mechanisms to raise the bar on the localized experiences, serving as a liaison between customers, the global and international product/tech organizations, and our external vendors.
You will raise the bar on the user experience delivered by all Amazon Business teams by focusing on our localization quality across the entire customer experience, with responsibilities including but not limited to:
· Define and independently drive mechanisms to prioritize and improve localization across multiple products and languages simultaneously
· Collaborate with corporate and international internal partners to understand and address localization pain points
· Develop project plans, establish SLAs and workflows for internal teams and external vendors
· Manage time, budget, resources, and quality control across multiple product development teams
· Maintain and improve linguistic assets such as translation memories and terminology database.
· Work with partners to improve Machine Translation and measure success
· Proactively collaborate with relevant stakeholders to resolve questions or issues related to source file discrepancies, terminology, language quality and workflow
· Manage localization success metrics, including financials and proactive customer feedback gathering
· Work with business, product, and technical managers to recommend adjustments to plans based on project scoping and assessment of needed global tasks, including adding internationalization tasks to the project.
· Define methods to anticipate and resolve bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs with the technical constraints.
· 5+ years experience as localization or translation project leader, including experience creating new quality programs
· Advanced, in-depth knowledge of internationalization and localization
· Thorough understanding of localization file formats (HTML, XML, etc.) and CAT tools
· Excellent English-language communication skills, both written and verbal
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and in a fast-paced environment
· Proven abilities in stakeholder management, project planning, resource and risk management
· Strong team player in a multi-cultural environment, and comfort presenting to senior leaders
· Evidence of independently identifying down-stream technical problems (i.e. system incompatibility, resource unavailability) that will conflict with localization objectives
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, which includes excellent listening skills, concise communications, and targeting the message to specific audiences
· Experience working with software developers in an Agile/Scrum environment is a plus.
· Demonstrated ability to influence people and teams at every level in the organization.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
· Demonstrated history of acquiring user data specific to localization quality (e.g., conducting usability studies, performing user research or focus groups) is a big plus.
· Content Management Systems (CMS) experience
· Fluency in a non-English language
· Project Management certification
· Advanced Excel skills, ability to create macros or other task automations
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation