Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future. The Smart Home within Alexa is focused on making Alexa the user interface for the home. From the simplest voice commands (turn on the lights, turn down the heat) to use cases spanning home security, home entertainment, and home environment, we are evolving Alexa into an intelligent, indispensable service that automates daily routines, simplifies interaction with appliances and electronics, and alerts when something unusual is detected.
The Smart Home Core Components team is responsible for developing the Smart Home Skill API, managing the smart device life cycle which includes setup, discovery, control and state. As an Engineer on the team, you will develop highly scalable services to manage billions of smart devices connected to Alexa through the cloud. Your work will span across Alexa skills, voice user interfaces, cloud services, and a rapidly-growing ecosystem of IoT devices. You will help lay the foundation to move from directed device interactions to learned behaviors that span multiple devices throughout the home. You will have the satisfaction of working on a product your friends and family can relate to, and want to use every day. We believe the Smart Home experience has the rare opportunity to have a giant impact on the way people live.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
· 4+ years professional experience in software development
· Experience with Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
· Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
· Development experience defining, developing and maintaining REST based interfaces
· Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.