AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”.
About the Role
AbeBooks’ mission is “to help people find and buy any book from any bookseller”. As a part of this mission we work daily to help customers discover our marketplace and the millions of books available from thousands of booksellers. This is challenging and equally rewarding for a truly global marketplace for rare and collectable books. We feel proud to provide a seamless experience to buyers from over 200 countries purchasing products from sellers representing over 60 countries. Our sites get millions of page views every day, and we promote millions of books across several marketing channels.
The Network Engineer is a key role in deploying, managing, automating and securing our network and infrastructure that supports our sites and services for our external customers and internal teams.
As a Network Engineer you will have an incredible opportunity to learn, implement & collaborate across teams as we manage and migrate our infrastructure tiers and services. Specifically, as part of the Site & IT Operations team you will deploy, manage & automate our network and infrastructure. Our ideal candidate is collaborative, has great written and verbal communication skills, is experienced in project & time management skills and has a successful track record of deploying automated solutions, debugging complex network issues and delivering innovative solutions. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential. You will have the opportunity to work with Amazon teams and Amazon technologies as we take advantage of the capabilities of our parent company. Last but not the least, you will be surrounded by smart and approachable colleagues, while living in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia.
As a Network Engineer working within the AbeBooks Site & IT Operations team you will:
· Lead and implement practices and mechanisms that focus on security, automation and operational excellence.
· Effectively monitor performance of network infrastructure and make recommendations for improvements.
· Configure and upgrade routers, switches, firewalls, and load balancers
· Troubleshoot and support network hardware and software issues
· Deploy, scale, automate, & maintain our LAN & WAN network infrastructure and Internet connectivity.
· Work closely with our internal customers on designs/solutions and take them from concept to production.
· Create and update our network standards and ensure that the network is deployed to these standards.
· Support and educate users on network issues and performance.
· Create and maintain clear, concise documentation.
· Help with security audits and investigations
· Provide on-call support outside of normal business hours
· Be able to travel occasionally to our remote Data Centre
· A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is required
· At least three years relevant experience in a large-scale network operations environment
· Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills; specifically, network performance analysis
· In-depth experience managing Cisco, Juniper and F5 hardware platforms
· Highly autonomous, very detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills
· Experience working on IP networking technologies, routers, switches and the application of routing protocols. (OSPF, BGP)
· Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure
· Experience in automating network administration using Python, Perl, or other high-level scripting language
· Must be comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment
· Expertise in information security
· A genuine passion for building systems that are simple and work well
· Experience managing cloud infrastructure in AWS