Are you passionate about the environment? Would you like to be part of the team that is using data to help Amazon understand its environmental impact? Amazon Footprint works in a large, complex, and dynamic data and software environment, focussed on increasing awareness by building platforms to analyze that data and drive sustainability-focussed insights into decisions made throughout Amazon.
As a Software Development Engineer, you’ll architect software that integrates multiple heterogeneous data sources into elegant software platforms to help us build efficient, flexible, and scalable solutions. You’ll use this intelligence to expose trends and drive more sustainable decisions for our stakeholders. You should have a proven ability to extract requirements out of significant ambiguity, synthesizing these into elegant designs that can be cleanly implemented and operated efficiently. You should be able to work with business owners to validate assumptions and ask the right questions to fill in gaps in our knowledge to ensure that we build the right systems, first time.
Successful candidates will thrive in and help lead fast-paced environments that leverage agile planning techniques, encourage and reward creative design and intelligent risk taking, and find innovative ways to leverage cutting edge technology. You'll invent novel ways of collecting, analyzing and enabling discovery of data from a variety of real-time sources. You'll innovate and influence the direction of the latest Amazon technologies. With Amazon’s breadth, your work will transform how Sustainability is approached at Amazon, and in turn influence the entire industry.
And of course, a demonstrated passion for sustainability doesn’t hurt!
- Bachelor’s and/or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related degree, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years professional experience in software development
- Strong architectural & system design skills in Java, C#, Scala, Python or other high-scale programming language
- Experienced driving ambiguous problem areas in existing or new software initiatives
- Proven experience solving complex architecture and business problems with solutions that are extensible, simple, or optimal.
- Design experience with multi-tenant, role-based architectures with granular permissions models.
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers with other engineers working under your guidance
- Expertise in one or more AWS products/service
- Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and making them more effective software engineers
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age