The Director of Operation drives innovation in manufacturing and process development at Lab126 and serves as a technical advisor to the Director of Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (AME). She/he plans and executes strategic initiatives to advance manufacturing and maximize business impact with limited resources. She/he deals with the most complex and highly technical problems with the positive impact to cost, quality, and customer experience and is expected to
1. Identifies opportunities to advance manufacturing technology; expected to conceive, propose, and sell new concepts, and address all aspects of technology readiness for production. Creates robust methodology and processes to deliver manufacturing process and technology to products with superior project execution.
2. Leads the definition, design, architecture, implementation, and delivery of the most advanced, difficult, and ambiguous solutions spanning across AME.
3. Partners with AME leadership on long term strategy to advance manufacturing. Quantify the bottom-line impact (ROI) to the business and AME’s competitive position in the industry.
4. Ensures the Principal community within AME is effectively collaborates to achieve objectives set for a coherent technical vision and delivering solutions that fit together.
5. Initiates and drive projects independently with a creative approach based on adequate research to ensure solutions are manufacturable with minimal support from others. Influence other technical domain experts within AME and across Lab126 to increase productivity, effectiveness, and impact.
6. Architects wide-impact solutions from the ground-up and provide business acumen and justification for the decisions.
7. Accountable for successful development and deployment of process / solutions delivered in Asia which includes articulating the priority of activities – holding technical resources to a high bar.
8. Serve as an authority on technical issues and making difficult trade-off decisions by both the technical and business community - a role model for the technical community across Asia.
9. Relentlessly breaks down the most complex problems into the right domain and demonstrates innovation, creativity, and judgement when solving challenging problems.
10. In Asia, builds credibility for the role, AME, and Lab126’s technical community by sharing overall strategy and implications of ongoing initiatives.
· Master’s degree in Engineering or similar technical field
· 15+ years of experience in engineering and manufacturing of consumer electronics
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills - documents serve as gold standard
· Demonstrate composure and leadership in adverse situations - ability to drive a group of business and technical leaders to closure while keeping others focused and motivated
· Ability to lead and follow appropriately – balance ownership and delegation across teams
· Capable of focusing leaders and decision makers on technology trends, tools, and strategies
· Insightful in identifying future skills needed across AME and help develop / recruit those skills
· Committed to actively mentoring peers and technical resources across AME
· Ability to develop and institutionalize best practices – a role model for AME & Principal community
· Demonstrated track record of working with total autonomy and discretion
· Background in statistical analysis and SPC/DOE
· PhD in Engineering or similar technical field
· Experience in program management and successfully introduced products to volume production
· Directly responsible for defining production process, supply chain, and manufacturing equipment
· Support cost reduction and sustaining activities
· Ability to travel as needed within Asia and US
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.