Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Come work at Amazon!
Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earth’s most customer centric company, and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in distributed systems and hardware design.
You will be responsible for development of high bandwidth (100 Gbps) systems for free space optical communication between satellites. You will lead characterization of commercial, off-the-shelf components, drive development of custom components where needed, to achieve low-cost, light-weight, and reliable systems that meet the performance requirements. You will support the optical design development, optical assembly, integration and test development.
You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You should be comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and relish the idea of solving problems that haven't been solved at scale before. Along the way, we guarantee that you will learn a lot, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
· Master’s Degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, Electronics, or related discipline, or equivalent experience
· 10+ years of experience in optical systems development across full product life cycles - concept to production
· Experience with lasers, detectors, modulators, optical fiber and devices, testing and characterization
· Experience with physical and geometric optics, Gaussian beam propagation and detection
· PhD Degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, Electronics, or related discipline, or equivalent experience
· Expertise in imaging and non-imaging optical design using Zemax or other software
· Ability to lead interdisciplinary discussions between Hardware, Reliability, and Firmware teams to define and drive scope and clarity of work, and reach optimum system level trade-offs
· Experience in automated testing and system characterization
· Ability to provide thought leadership and key input on new initiatives as well as on programs underway
· Ability to regularly engage with senior stake holders and influence across the organization
· Knowledge of opto-electronics industry and component suppliers
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age