At Amazon, we are committed to and invested in compliance and sustainability because it’s a win all around – it’s good for business, the planet, our customers, and our communities. The Worldwide Environmental Affairs and Sustainability team capitalizes on Amazon’s scale, speed, and ability to invent and simplify to create a better and more resilient company. We manage our social and environmental impacts globally, and we drive solutions that enable our customers and our business to become more sustainable. We uphold company standards and expectations and seek to continuously improve the tools and processes that we use in doing so.
The Global Waste Program Manager will be responsible for partnering with global ops and Workplace Health and Safety to develop and enable field solutions to our corporate waste standards and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations. This role will also be required to ensure the successful development, implementation and standardization of our waste programs that employ reuse, sharing, repair, refurbishment, re-manufacturing and recycling to create a close-loop system, minimizing the use of resource inputs and the creation of waste, pollution and carbon emissions.
By focusing on country specific regulations, risk assessments and compliance evaluations, this individual will develop and lead continuous improvement initiatives to minimize environmental aspects and impacts and implement best practices. This individual will focus on implementing sustainable solutions and programs while increasing compliance in the waste field.
Global Waste Program Manager Responsibilities:
· Develop, integrate and execute strategies, procedures, programs, standards, training, processes and actions throughout the operations organization to facilitate regulatory compliance
· Monitor business/geo performance against applicable environmental regulations, programs and standards
· Ensure adequate assessment, prevention and control, and management of waste issues and risks arising from operations, vendors and suppliers, company products and business affairs
· Use understanding of global waste regulations and programs to support field escalations from operations, environmental affairs, EHS, Legal, and other internal stakeholders
· Develop and implement standardized tech and program solutions to increase compliance while reducing our environmental impact through waste elimination and reuse closed-loop practices
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, chemical or environmental engineering or related field of study
- 7+ years of experience serving as a waste technical resource, manager, program specialist, or program manager
- Broad knowledge of waste regulations, programs and processes
- Experience partnering with worldwide teams to develop and implement programs as well as on continuous improvement projects.
- Experience leading change in multiple site environments and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports, or within your organization
- Written and verbal communication skills, including interfacing with Sr. Managers and Directors
- Experience demonstrating interpersonal skills to work effectively with others and achieve results
- Analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
- Willing to travel up to 25%
- ISO 14000 or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization is a plus
- Experience implementing lean principles and process improvement in an operational environment
- Must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.