Amazon’s Disability & Leave Services (DLS) team in the HR Services organization is building a best-in-class case management program to deliver leave of absence, disability and accommodation services to Amazon employees across the U.S.
The Vocational Consultant (VC) is a key member of our accommodations team, providing virtual and in-person vocational coaching services to Amazon employees with disabilities. They collaborate with internal team members to provide professional job coaching services, devise innovative solutions for difficult to accommodate cases and facilitate return to work for employees ending leave.
Vocational coaching is a short-term accommodation that helps employees with disabilities learn, manage, and perform the essential functions of their job. The Vocational Coaching program is in its early stages and this role will evolve over time as the program grows.
Vocational coaching supports employees with disabilities that affect executive functioning such as focus, memory, communication, and decision making. A successful VC works with the employee to identify barriers related to their disability and creates individualized coaching plans to mitigate those barriers and improve job performance.. This includes connecting employees to internal and external resources like: Employee Assistance Program, Vocational Rehabilitation Programs, mental health resources, and other community non-profit disability organizations.
A VC is a vocational coaching subject matter expert, providing consulting and collaborating with the DLS team, as well as different business sites and stakeholders. Successful candidates will have expert resource knowledge and superior communication skills with proven success in influencing across multiple leadership levels.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Provide vocational coaching, resource referrals, information, and support to employees with medical conditions or disabilities, as well as relevant supervisors, Human Resources, and other partners to support Amazon’s retention efforts
· Maintain caseload of up to 20 employees
· Identify individual support needs and barriers related to disability, as well as learning and communication style
· Creating coaching plans outlining frequency, duration, and scope of coaching activities tailored to individual needs. Support needs could include: improving communication, organization, planning, workload management, etc.
· Problem-solving or role-playing scenarios for stressful work situations and self-advocacy
· Improving work habits, creating systems and routines, and creating tools for handling day-to-day stressors
· Maintain a high level of communication with all stakeholders: Accommodation Consultants, HRBPs, hiring managers, third party vendors, and other members of the Disability and Leave Services team
· Make accommodation recommendations and refer employee to appropriate internal and external resources
· Conduct training for DLS team members, HRBP’s, and hiring managers as needed
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Psychology, Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work or related field
· 2+ years working in providing direct support, or coaching, to individuals with disabilities
· Experience with case management and knowledge of Human Resources, Vocational Rehabilitation, government programs, and related field studies
· Knowledge of federal and state disability laws and resources
· Intermediate proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Master’s degree from an accredited university in Psychology, Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work, or related field
· Professional licenses in: LMHC, LCSW, LPC
· Coaching certification through the ICF, BCC, IAC, and/or CCE.
· 5+ years disability/vocational coaching in a professional environment
· Job coaching experience working in technology-relevant vocations (with computer programmers, technology workers, software designers, etc.)
· 5+ years total experience working with individuals with one or more of the following diagnoses: autism, ADHD, Traumatic Brain Injury, and/or mental health conditions
· ADHD Coaching certification through ADDCA or PAAC
· PHR and/or CPDM certification
· Excellent customer service and communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
· Strong problem solving, time management and priority setting skills
· Demonstrated ability to diagnose problems, identify and drive appropriate solutions
· Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential information, including sensitive human resources situations (performance coaching, delivering disciplinary plans, etc.)
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse set of multi-level stakeholders and drive appropriate solutions