Do you want to manage a highly performant team and delight millions of Kindle Customers while giving a sharpening edge to your technical and people management skills? Do you enjoy reading books, comics, manga or graphic novels or wonder what complex problems reside underneath? This role will give you an opportunity to build simple solutions of complex problems and own your destiny to influence the world of reading!
As the Software Development Manager in this role, you will manage a team of software development engineers and provide them both strategic and tactical supervision. Your team will build features and functionalities to achieve best-in-class reading experiences for Kindle readers and editing experience for Authors. You and your team will own and drive design and development solutions of complex problems in eBooks reading and editing domain (from file format, fonts and typography to layout to graphics to user interaction and editing/previewing) across Kindle devices and Applications. You will have the opportunity to dive deep into solutions of complex problems, practice excellent project management skills, and set expectations on delivery both upstream and downstream of your team in an agile development environment. Any knowledge of working on customer facing application or mobile devices will give you a head start.
We are looking for a passionate and talented Software Development Manager to help deliver the next version of our industry-leading eBooks rendering experience. Amazon Kindle is a revolutionary reading device and Kindle Content is one of the most innovative businesses at Amazon. Our vision with Kindle is to make every book ever published, in any language, available to Kindle customers instantly. Leading innovations on the reading experience front will drive the future of digital reading of all types of content in today’s fast-paced mobile reading trend. In order to make this possible, we are looking for innovative, results-oriented, and customer-centric leader with a passion for solving challenging technical problems and building highly performant teams in Kindle Rendering Organization.
· Mentoring and Developing software engineers at different experience levels.
· Managing and executing project plans and delivery commitments including the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment.
· Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, hiring and developing a best-in-class engineering team.
· Work closely with engineers to design and develop the best technical solutions.
· Exercise tradeoffs, deliver end-to-end solutions or collaborate with teams for best customer experience.
· Participate in periodic product strategy roadmap and planning activities.
· Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system health to management and stakeholders.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
· BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field
· Minimum 4 years of experience managing software development teams
· Minimum 8 years total software industry experience, including hands-on development and/or team management
· Full lifecycle software development team management experience, from inception to delivery, through production operations
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent project management skills
· Experience with the Scrum or Agile methodology
· Experience with Amazon AWS
· Ability to design software that can run in the cloud and handle Amazon-scale traffic
· Quickly adapt to new development environments and changing business requirements