Digital Photography Review (DPReview.com) is seeking a talented, passionate, and creative web developer to help us build the future of the world's most popular digital camera website. You will leverage our unique position in the industry to constantly strive for smarter and better ways to deliver the content, services, and tools that have made our site such a success.
Your core focus will be to build the next generation of web and mobile experiences for DPReview.com. This includes new experiences for viewing and sharing photos, product comparison tools for photographic gear, community and social features focused on photography enthusiasts.
We are seeking that rare combination of solid coding background, good design sense, an aptitude to apply cutting edge technologies at scale, and a willingness to challenge the status quo and raise the bar on every service and feature we build. The ideal candidate enjoys building stable, responsive, secure, accessible cross-platform customer experiences using appropriate design patterns and expertise in front-end engineering. Successful candidates must also be innovative, flexible, self-directed, and able to design and write high-performance, reliable, maintainable code.
While a part of Amazon, DPReview has its own unique culture. It’s a startup-like environment backed by an industry leader. Engineers will have an opportunity to partner with our product management, design and editorial teams to help shape projects from concept to delivery.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to be a part of a small, lean team that’ll work across the stack on a variety of interesting problems, then this is it!
· Experience with object-oriented design
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
· 5+ years of overall software development experience, with an emphasis on front end engineering.
· Experience with modern web technologies and techniques such as HTML5, CSS3, CSS frameworks and CSS pre-processors.
· Experience with MVC frameworks, Spring MVC, AJAX interfaces with AJAX libraries and frameworks.
· Experience with responsive and mobile design, as well as cross-browser development and testing.
· Experience building rich data-driven web applications by consuming RESTful services and APIs.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews
· Track record delivering front-end software that is correct, stable, performant, secure and accessibility compliant.
· Able to solve difficult software and UX problems with some ambiguity.
· Proficient in a broad range of software design approaches and common UX patterns. Knows when (and when not) to use
· front-end software design patterns (e.g., asynchronicity, data binding, modules, objects, promises).
· Can articulate the risks and benefits of depending on front-end libraries, frameworks, and toolsets.
· Able to dive into the source code of front end libraries to debug, patch, and extend them when necessary.
· Proficient in view layout and rendering technologies (e.g., responsiveness, progressive enhancement, browser/device support).
· Understands how to optimize the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.).
· Understands how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customer’s devices, etc.).
· Understands how to optimize the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.)
· Knows how to instrument software with real user metrics to reflect the customer experience.
· Knowledge of engineering and operational excellence best practices.
· Experience with AWS web services.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.