Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live a lifetime of memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and we have apps on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Photos is Amazon’s latest digital service released on the heels of the Amazon’s Music and Video offerings and is poised for growth. The team is looking for a motivated Data Engineer to help build a Data Lake with distributed compute capabilities, including processes for optimized data retention, archival, and retrieval.
This role requires the individual to bring a solid Big Data background and skillset, an established analytical framework, deep knowledge of business intelligence solutions, and ability to work under ambiguous circumstances. Successful candidate will have strong passion for data and analytics with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, and driven by a desire to innovate Amazon’s approach to this space.
The ideal candidate for this role will write this as their introductory email:
“I have worked as a Data Engineer for 5+ years and have been a key member of team [X] that was responsible for building and maintaining a Data Lake with distributed compute capabilities using open source architecture and Big Data platforms such as EMR, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, DynamoDB among others (Ownership, Learn and Be Curious, Dive Deep). In this capacity, I have designed, implemented, and maintained a cutting-edge and cost-effective data-infrastructure for large scale data, created and managed large datasets by extracting, transforming, merging, and loading data from various heterogeneous data sources. I have put in place processes to help maintain data integrity, availability, and auditability. I played a key role in managing AWS resources and driving the adoption of new technologies and best practices with respect to Big Data (Deliver Results, Earn Trust). I have also been involved with the Business Intelligence team in improving our processes, putting in systems in place for scaling BI reporting and building automation (Invent and Simplify, Insist on High Standards). I am excited by the early stage nature of Amazon Photos and excited to contribute in an entrepreneurial environment.”
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Finance or related field.
· 5+ years of experience with Big Data platforms and architecture, relational and no SQL database concepts with solid knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, Python, Spark, Hive, and AWS technologies in general.
· 5+ years of experience with data modelling, Data Warehouse/ Datamart design and architectural concepts, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures.
· 2+ years of large IT project delivery for BI oriented projects.
· 2+ years of working with very large data warehousing environment
· Strong data visualization skills.
· Master’s degree in related field (Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Finance, Economics or similar quantitative field)
· Industry experience as a Data Engineer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist, or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
· Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Excellent knowledge of Advanced SQL working with large data sets.
· Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources.
· Experience with AWS Technologies including (S3, Redshift, Tableau, Quicksight, etc.).