Research Scientist II, Deal Quality and Personalized Shopping Experience
Job ID: 418097 | Woot Services LLC
Do you feel excited about being part of building a shopping experience that is tailored to each and every individual? Woot.com, the innovative company who invented the deal-of-the-day business model, is looking for a talented, self-motivated Research Scientist who's passionate about diving deep into the data to build effective and scalable models. The models need to be very effective at creating the most addictive, personalized and responsive shopping experience on the web that scales seamlessly across all device types and sizes. You will own the data and models that underlie a great personalized shopping experience for Woot customers – a problem that needs to be solved in a very strategic manner for a deals business model.
Woot specializes in daily deals across multiple categories and offers our customers unique content giving them many reasons to visit our website frequently. As a research scientist, you will help answer key questions such as “Where will Woot’s growth come from in a year? In five? How will our customers react to changes in prices, product selection, and delivery times? Which customer would like this deal the best? What is the best marketing channel to promote a particular deal to our customer base?” These are among the most important questions at Woot today. Woot is looking for innovative, passionate and results-oriented Research Scientists to answer these questions.
You will have an opportunity to own the long-term outlook for Woot’s business and shape strategic decisions by working directly with the Woot CEO and leadership team. You will be working on complex mathematical problems, with a large element of unpredictability. You will develop new sophisticated algorithms and improve existing approaches based on modern statistical, machine learning, and data mining methods to impact the core business of Woot. You’ll motivate and inspire the team to deliver, and you will be part of a team that will deliver great products that a few years ago people only dreamed about.
A successful candidate will be able to formalize problem definitions from ambiguous requirements, extract insights from big data and develop cutting-edge solutions for non-standard problems. He or she is an individual with outstanding analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, and is comfortable working with technical teams and systems. He or she will be responsible for researching, experimenting, analyzing forecasting strategies, and mathematical models and also prototype the implementation.
• Build statistical models to represent the quality of deals sourced based on revenue forecasting at various levels.
• Build statistical models to represent perceived deal quality by each customer and in turn come up with models to personalize deals for individual customers on the website, mobile app and various marketing channels.
• Prototype these models by using modeling languages such as R and in-house Machine Learning tools. A software team will be working with you to transform prototypes into production.
• Create, enhance, and maintain technical documentation, and present to other Scientists.
In order to perform the above responsibilities well, you also need to
• Gather data required for analysis and mathematical model building by writing ad-hoc scripts and database queries.
• Interact with software and business groups to develop an understanding of their business requirements and operational processes.
• Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or a related field and 2 years of industry experience, or a Master’s degree in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or a related field and 4 or more years of industry experience.
• Three or more years of experience in machine learning with domain knowledge and experience in the following areas: data-driven statistical modeling, discriminative methods, feature extraction and analysis, supervised learning.
• Four or more years of industry experience or academic research applying statistical techniques to real-world data
• Fluency in a high-level modeling language such as MATLAB and R.
• Superior communication and data presentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to own projects end-to-end and work on cross-functional teams
• Experience with large data sets (10 million+ rows).
• A natural curiosity and desire to learn.
• Ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
• Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements; and to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives.
• Experience with programming languages such as Python, Java, C++
• Knowledge of relational databases (SQL).
• Applied experience building/evaluating predictive models is desirable.
• A good understanding of analysis of algorithms and computational complexity is desirable. Distributed programming experience is highly recommended.
Woot is owned by Amazon, the company that brought you the Kindle, Kindle Fire, drones, Amazon Prime, and many other great innovations. Woot is, of course, the original daily deals site. But as a subsidiary of Amazon, we offer employees all the advantages of a small high-growth company paired with all the benefits of working for Amazon.