Do you feel passionate about building a data pipeline? Are you excited about figuring out ways slice, dice, and send data to multiple sources? Woot.com, the innovative company who invented the deal-of-the-day business model, is looking for a talented, self-motivated Data Engineer with broad technical skills to help build the infrastructure and tools required to support its Data Platform.
Woot specializes in daily deals across multiple categories and offers our customers unique content giving them many reasons to visit our website and mobile apps frequently. Via integration into the development process, Data Pipeline programs influence course-corrections in product roadmaps that yield future benefits to customers while lowering the dependency on manual reporting.
As a Data Engineer, you will help answer key questions such as “How do Website, Mobile App redesign initiatives help customers discover products in a more efficient manner? How will our customers react to changes in prices, product selection, delivery times, return/replacement policies etc.? Which customer would like this deal the best? What is the best marketing channel to promote a particular deal to our customer base? How can we improve our customer service? How can we improve our delivery experience? etc” These are among the most important questions at Woot today. Woot product management team is looking for innovative, passionate and results-oriented Data Engineer who can support the Voice of the Customer Program by working with multiple data sources to ingest them into internal systems for aggregation and analysis. This person will also support building data sets to drive key decision making across the organization.
You will have an opportunity to own the long-term outlook for Woot’s business and shape strategic decisions by working directly with the leadership team and key cross functional stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be able to formalize problem definitions from ambiguous requirements, extract insights from big data and develop cutting-edge solutions for non-standard problems. You are an individual with outstanding analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, and are comfortable working with technical teams and systems. You will draw upon advanced analytical, critical thinking, problem solving skills, software development experience, and a passion for creating maintainable, highly reliable, systems which operate 24/7. You will work with analytic tools, can write excellent SQL scripts, can partner with customers to answer key business questions, and you are an advocate for your customers.
• Work closely with business stakeholders to understand business issues and develop the data driven insights to drive the business’ direction.
• Work closely with internal Amazon teams to develop data ingestion models from varying customer and application touchpoint sources (such as survey data, application metrics, APMQ messages, customer service contacts among others) for text mining analysis.
• Audit the tagging process (manual or automated) to make sure data is complete and accurately represented in the systems.
• Understand that ad-hoc analysis is part of the landscape and be prepared to structure relevant analysis and demonstrate a sense of urgency in delivering insights to the leadership team.
• Dive deep into data by leveraging SQL, MS Access, Excel, and other data manipulation tools and presentation tools (e.g. Tableau, AWS, etc.). .
• Develop and propose new metrics, recommend strategies to stakeholders to improve business results, and work across our organization to make actionable intelligence available to business stakeholders.
• Contribute to the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
• Interact with software and business groups to develop an understanding of their business requirements and operational processes.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Finance, Statistics or related technical field.
• 5+ years of professional experience in analytics, business analysis or comparable analytics position, handling large, complex data sets
• Proficiency in SQL and Excel
• Basic scripting using programming languages such as Python or C++
• Experience applying statistical techniques to real-world data
• Excellent written, oral communication and data presentation skills
• Comfort with or exposure to basic statistics: significance tests, regression
• Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and generate innovative solutions in an extremely fast-paced environment.
• MS in Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or other technical field. MBA also desired.
• Develop websites using (RUBY, HTML, PHP, Java, AJAX) which would allow users throughout the Company including the leadership team the ability to graphically understand issues the team is seeing as well as action items to solve these issues
• Experience in data mining (SQL, ETA, data warehouse)
• Experience with textual mapping based systems and software.
• Experience with a high-level modeling language such as MATLAB, R, Stata, etc.
• Familiar with theory and practice of information retrieval, relevance, machine learning, and data mining.
• Experience with large data sets (10 million+ rows).
• A natural curiosity and desire to learn.
• Energy and willingness to formulate, test, and discard or revise many hypotheses
• Skilled at data visualization and presentation.
• Experience working with business intelligence software like Tableau