Role: IT Support Technician
Location - Doncaster
Our overall mission is simple: we want Amazon to be the place where our customers can find, discover and buy anything online. Whatever our customers want, we will find the means to deliver it. With your help, Amazon will continue to enable people to discover new worlds and implement innovation.
This is your chance to make history.
Business Area: Operations – Fulfilment centre
Operations is at the heart of the Amazon customer experience. Each action we undertake is done on behalf of our customers, as meeting their expectations makes us feel good.
The Ops teams in our Fulfilment Centres are responsible for controlling the vast range of fast paced inventory from inbound to outbound and work very hard to ensure that our customers receive what they want, when they want it.
Role: IT Support Technician
The Amazon IT teams keep our business running smoothly by resolving complex hardware, software, server and infrastructure issues, with both on-site and on-call capacity for our Operations network.
As an IT Support Technician you will report to the IT Manager in your home site and will be responsible for working closely with the business, fellow technicians and engineers to implement and maintain critical infrastructure elements as well as day to day support to meet our operations present and future business needs.
Besides your day-to-day activities, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in projects and innovate. You will be a key part of a multinational team and thrive in delivering high-quality results and always be on the lookout for improvements.
Putting your Customers first, you will provide a 1st / 2nd line support service that ensures all IT equipment and infrastructure is running to its optimum performance and that all departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are met on your home site as well as any remote sites that you and your team also support. You will also participate in site-wide projects that support changing business and IT requirements.
This is an hourly role, paid weekly, and you will be working in rotating shift patterns, with some out of hours work.
The extent of your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
· Carrying out execution of change management requests as required (which may include out of hours work).
· Installation, maintenance and support of IT equipment including (but not restricted to) laptops, telecoms equipment, printers, scanners, thin clients and workstations. Some cabling work will also be required (after training).
· Management of imaging of workstations and laptops.
· Ensuring that work is carried out to a high standard and complies with all Amazon polices and guidelines.
· Maximizing availability of all IT equipment and infrastructure through continuous improvement and proactive, preventative maintenance, continuously look to improve equipment efficiencies and cost reductions accordingly.
· Delivering outstanding level of service to your Customer base.
· Liaise with contractors or external suppliers and clearly communicate technical issues and Amazon standards.
· Providing technical support/input to site and team projects and initiatives.
· Conducting end user equipment trials and testing.
· Undertaking ad-hoc requests and tasking as and when required.
· The management Asset and Inventory management including checks / audits in line with global standards and processes including Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) processes with suppliers.
· Providing assistance to senior engineers as required (which may include out of hours work and travel).
· Managing shift / daily infrastructure and Distribution Frame (MDF/IDF) audits and checks, including the production of shift / daily reports.
Please note: The position will involve some physical labour. IT Support Technicians execute physical work e.g. working in confined spaces (possibly under the 48 inch crawl space or inside air handlers); lifting up to 15 kg; site cleanliness and maintenance work; accessing elevated spaces (working at height).
About our rewards
We’ll expect you to go the extra mile, but we’ll also make sure you’re well rewarded. As well as a competitive salary and stock units, we offer a whole host of other benefits, including an employee discount.
Additionally, you will find yourself in a stimulating environment where you can develop processes as well as yourself as an individual by working with some of the best and brightest minds in the industry. Our rapidly growing organization also offers many opportunities for building a diverse and rewarding career.
Amazon.com, a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, Washington, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Since Jeff Bezos started Amazon.com, we have significantly expanded our product offerings, international sites, and worldwide network of fulfilment and customer service centres. Today, Amazon.com offers everything from books and electronics to tennis rackets and diamond jewellery. We operate sites in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Japan, Canada, Italy, Spain and China (Joyo.com) and maintain over 50 fulfilment centres around the world which encompass more than 26 million square feet.
We don’t like to sit still, which is why we always treat every day like the first day. A day to make more good things happen for our customers. It’s that kind of spirit that drives our success now and keeps us ahead of the competition in the future. And you could be part of it. It’s as simple as this: Work Hard. Have Fun. Make History.
Sound interesting? We wait for your application.
Required qualifications and skills:
The successful candidate will have:
· Experience in MS Windows System Support
· Excellent English communication skills (written & verbal). Able to communicate technical information to nontechnical audiences.
· A strong sense of customer service and demonstrable history of excellent customer-facing skills.
· Demonstrable methodical problem solving and excellent analytical skills.
· Able to keep others informed of information that contributes to the performance of the team, department or company (Team player).
· Be self-motivated and able to work alone as well as part of a team.
· Able to prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment.
· Experience in establishing new processes and procedures as well as following those already in place and always looking for improvements.
· A willingness to roll their sleeves up and be hands-on.
· An good understanding of computers (both hardware and software) and a demonstrated willingness to learn and apply new technology and to train and learn new skills
· Demonstrable strong initiative (is proactive) and motivation with the ability to learn quickly.
· Ability to be flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
· Ability and willingness to travel including staying away from home for up to one week at a time.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
· Two years prior technical (IT) exposure/experience highly favorable, preferably in an operational environment.
· Vendor certification of the following: MS Windows System Support, Cisco knowledge – LAN / WAN and Wireless.
· Some Linux/Unix System Support experience
· IT / ICT vocational or further education qualification would be advantageous
· Previous experience in a highly dynamic and fluid environment with a high degree of customer service.
· Help Desk / Technical support experience.
· Ability to develop clear, concise documentation.
· Ability to train others and generous with time to pass on knowledge.
· Ability to develop the skills needed to support specific Fulfillment Centre Automated Systems.
· Ability to coordinate with corporate-based support groups to implement IT changes.
· Project management – technical task execution.