- Our company -
In 2006, Amazon Web Services (AWS) began offering IT infrastructure services to businesses as web services - now commonly known as cloud computing. Today, AWS provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 245 countries and regions around the world. From rapidly-growing start-ups, to large enterprises, to major government agencies, millions of customers use AWS to reduce costs, increase agility, and accelerate innovation. As our customers grow their businesses, AWS continues to provide infrastructure that meets their global requirements, aiming to be the most customer centric company on earth.
- Our organization -
The Infrastructure Operations Team supports the operation of AWS data centers 24/7 to meet customer demands and business needs. We are committed to maintain the physical infrastructure of AWS in the areas of availability, productivity, efficiency, while ensuring the standards of safety and security.
- Our team -
The Data Center Engineering Operations (DCEO) operation team is seeking engineers who can deploy, operate, and maintain the facilities (electrical/mechanical systems, control/fire-fighting systems, etc.) and manage related projects at our large-scale, high-density data centers.
As a member of this gender and culturally diverse team, you will have a chance to work with exciting technology in a dynamic environment with expanding opportunities. Help us grow our customers' businesses today. We’re waiting for you to apply!
* Operation and maintenance of data center electrical, mechanical, controls, fire suppression systems, etc.
* Regular facility walk-through
* Inspections and monitoring of building systems.
* Troubleshooting facility issues
* Study and implement improvements related to operating efficiency and energy savings.
* Planning and performing of regular maintenance and repairs.
* Creating various regular reports.
* Hands-on work relating to decrease/increase of capacity
* Confirmation of electrical and cooling capacity before installation of new capacity.
* Connecting power whips during equipment installation.
* Managing inventory data
* New build and expansion projects
* Reviewing designs for new data center construction and existing data center expansions.
* Procuring tools and preparing procedures needed for operations.
* Collaborate with project team members to support construction and testing.
* After construction finishes, take over operations from project team.
* Prepare and implement countermeasure for natural disasters, emergency response to high priority/critical incidents
In addition to these duties, you can make use of accumulated skills and experience by demonstrating ownership in a wide range of areas, such as global/regional improvement initiatives, and other improvement
initiatives that you plan. You can also take internal trainings and polish your skills for personal career development during the available time while on duty.
There are following working types depending on the job assignments.
* Flexible work arrangements:
o 8 hours of actual work from 9:00-18:00 on normal business days.
o Working hours can be consulted and adjusted depending on the work on the day and week.
o There are on-call duties after normal working hours, rotating by all team members weekly basis.
* Shift work
o Continuous 4 working days and 3 days off in a week, rotating day shift and night shift weekly basis.
o 10 hours of actual work from 8:00-20:00, 20:00-8:00, or 9:00-21:00, 21:00-9:00 (2 hours’ break in each shift)
o More details of shift work can be explained during the interview
At Amazon, everyone is a leader.
Amazon has a worldwide belief that consists of 14 items called "Our Leadership Principles". Amazon believes that everyone is a leader regardless of whether you are a manager with a team, and every employee is committed to acting in accordance with this “Our Leadership Principles” in all day-to-day activities.
Data Center Engineering Operations team is seeking engineers with the following leadership strengths in particular:
Leaders are owners. They think long term and don’t sacrifice long-term value for short-term results. They act on behalf of the entire company, beyond just their own team. They never say “that’s not my job."
* Learn and Be Curious
Leaders are never done learning and always seek to improve themselves. They are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them.
* Dive Deep
Leaders operate at all levels, stay connected to the details, audit frequently, and are skeptical when metrics and anecdote differ. No task is beneath them.
* Bias for Action
Speed matters in business. Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive study. We value calculated risk taking.
The following are basic requirements, but if you don't meet all of them, we welcome people who are adaptive, willing to learn, and want to get involved.
* 2-4 years relevant work experience with operating and maintaining mission critical equipment (24 hour operation factories, substations, hospitals, etc...).
* Basic knowledge (equivalent to CDCS) of data center facilities
* Experience with change management, incident management, problem management, and troubleshooting
* Experience in writing documents such as standard operating procedures, methods of procedure, and emergency operating procedures
* Experience or basic understanding of maintenance and change management, as well as how to work following policies, processes, and procedures
* Vendor management experience
* Japanese proficiency (verbal and written) – JLPT N2 or equivalent
* English proficiency (verbal and written) at a level that enables daily tasks without trouble - middle school level (Eiken 3) or equivalent. But anyone willing to improve their English skill is possible. You can also grow your English communication skills every day, in our diverse and international working environment. Understand and comply with safety and security policies.
* Experience with operation and maintenance of data centers.
* CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, AHRAE, or similar certifications
* Certifications necessary for managing data centers (Type II Chief Electrical Engineer, Qualified Energy Manager, Type 4 Hazardous Materials Engineer, Refrigeration Machinery Manager, 2nd Class Qualified Certified Electrician)
* Project Management certification (PMP, Prince2, ITILv2, BICSI).
* Strong ability to understand electrical systems (supply system of power substations, transformers, switchgears, VFI-class UPS, DRUPS, PDU, ATS, STS, SLA or VRLA battery and related systems, fuel systems related to diesel/gas turbine generators, surge control circuits, active harmonic filters, battery monitoring systems, branch circuit monitoring systems, SCADA systems)
* Strong ability to understand mechanical systems (CRAC/CRAH, AHU, chillers, cooling towers, storage tanks, heat exchangers, plumbing systems, pumps, valves, duct systems, fans, dampers, fire detection and extinguishing systems, drainage systems, building monitoring systems, automatic control systems)
* Fluent English communication - TOEIC 800 or equivalent.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/jp/