The Amazon Music team is recruiting Software Development Engineers with entrepreneurial spirit for our Music Content & Community (MC2) team. MC2 owns a portfolio of applications and services that power music discovery, helping to connect customers to their next favorite track, album, and artist from our catalog of more than 20 million options. Our users range from Amazon Cloud Player customers who discover new music from our contextual recommendations to the artists who use Artist Central, a Ruby On Rails app, to communicate with their fans.
A successful candidate will have an established background in back-end service development, customer-facing application development, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
You will work in a small team creating industry-leading features which will go before a massive audience on Amazon's global websites. The team will own the business and technology side of features developed. You will be involved in absolutely every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to front and middle-tier software development across a variety of technologies. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will need to operate at massive scale, 24x7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for candidates with broader interests to make big contributions that will be highly visible and highly valued by Amazon's music customers and others working in the music industry.
· System level architecture (esp. high-scale multi-tier distributed systems)
· Linux / Unix development background
· Object-Oriented development
· Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving
· Good understanding of a broad range of algorithms and data-structures
· Good understanding of OS fundamentals
· At least five years of relevant software development experience
· Demonstrated experience serving in a technical leadership capacity and designing and developing large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software systems using Java, C#, or C++.
· A proven track record for contributing to recruiting and mentoring more junior engineers in growing development teams that deliver high quality results in a fast paced environment.
· Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation, and listening skills, with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
· Computer Science degree, Advanced degree a plus
· Ruby on Rails
· AJAX, JQuery
· Scalable data storage design and optimization
· Agile methods
· Development of multi-tier distributed systems
· Development for the web