AWS Applications is one of the most exciting new AWS organization, with products such as Amazon Connect, AWS Clean Rooms and Just Walk Out, that attract a passionate and fast growing customer base. We are the Just Walk Out team within AWS Applications organization that is focused on 100% Physical Stores Automation. You will be joining a strong team with a great work environment and an opportunity to lead the technology / make product decisions to solve these interesting customer challenges.
As a Principal Engineer with the Just Walk Out Organization, you will define the technical vision for the next generation of our systems which will work at global scale. This role will give you the opportunity to influence a large group of product owners, software engineers, machine learning experts, and data scientists globally. You will decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions that can be used across Amazon’s businesses and subsidiaries. By working on the hardest problems and leading the architectural direction of our most ambitious ideas, your decisions will have a significant impact on Amazon’s business results and improve the shopping experience for millions of customers. Our organization develops software that spans across the full stack with a wide range of technical challenges. You will drive software innovations to improve performance and cost. You will lead the team in raising the bar with quality, security and operational excellence. Creating a reliable, scalable, and flexible service requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. The ideal candidate will possess excellent customer engagement and communication skills as well as the technical background to fluently interact and provide guidance to software developers and architects. Come join us and help solve a challenging set of problems in a space packed full of opportunities.
Key job responsibilities
• Create & lead a bold tech vision to create a global program at scale
• Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
• Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
• Fully and completely understand system inter dependencies and limitations.
• Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, distributed architecture, and engineering best practices.
• Leverage knowledge of internal and industry prior knowledge in design decisions.
• Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
• Contribute intellectual property through patents.
• Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
A day in the life
A Principal Software Engineer role at Amazon: i) conceives product and service architecture ii) ensures scalability, availability, reliability and ease of operations, iii) collaborates with technical leaders iv) mentors the internal engineering talent. On a given day, you may write and / or review architecture and design docs, and / or code for a new product, service or proof-of-concept for your team or perhaps other teams across Amazon, participate in strategic discussions on programs that impact the company, help with career growth of your team members, assess other technical leaders for promotion readiness, influence other Director / VP organizations
About the team
Just Walk Out - Physical Stores India is a 425+ member Organization. The India organization leads several critical initiatives that are critical to customer & product recognition, tracking and store bring up.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Bengaluru, KA, IND
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or - related field.
- Strong technical credentials, with at least 12 years of technical engineering leadership, with 5+ years of experience in large scale distributed system development including hands on operational experience.
- Proven experience with full development life cycle for large-scale software products including extensive experience with service-oriented architectures, design patterns and web services.
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, asynchronous architectures and distributed algorithms.
- In-depth knowledge of system programming.
- Experience mentoring/training an engineering community on development best practices
- Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience designing and building large-scale systems in a multi-tiered, distributed environment (Service Oriented Architecture)
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related fields.
- Knowledge in machine learning, natural language processing, data mining, predictive analysis, Big Data analytics, or information extraction
- Deep understanding of system performance tradeoffs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability.