We’re on the lookout for the curious, those who think big and want to define the world of tomorrow. At Amazon, you will grow into the high impact, visionary person you know you’re ready to be. Every day will be filled with exciting new challenges, developing new skills, and achieving personal growth.
How often can you say that your work changes the world? At Amazon, you’ll say it often. Join us and define tomorrow.
2024 Netherlands Data Engineering Internship
Do you love building tools and data pipelines? Are you excited by the opportunity to create clear effective reports and data visualizations, and collaborate with stakeholders to answer key business questions? Do you want to be a part of a fast-paced environment and contribute to one of the most visited sites on the Internet?
If this describes you, consider joining us as an intern. Amazon is looking for a data engineer intern to join one our many lines of business. Amazon interns have the opportunity to work alongside the industry’s brightest engineers who innovate everyday on behalf of our customers. You will be matched to a manager and a mentor. You will have the opportunity to affect the evolution of Amazon technology as well as lead mission critical projects early in your career. Your work will contribute to solving some of the most complex technical challenges in the company.
In addition to working on an impactful project, you will have the opportunity to engage with Amazonians for both personal and professional development, expand your network, and participate in fun activities with other interns throughout the summer. No matter the location of your internship, we give you the tools to own your summer and learn in a real world setting.
Key job responsibilities
- Design, implement, and automate deployment of our distributed system for collecting and processing log events from multiple sources
- Design data schema and operate internal data warehouses and SQL/NoSQL database systems
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards to drive key business decisions
- Monitor and troubleshoot operational or data issues in the data pipelines
- Drive architectural plans and implementation for future data storage, reporting, and analytic solutions
- Work collaboratively with Business Analysts, Data Scientists, and other internal partners to identify opportunities/problems
- Provide assistance to the team with troubleshooting, researching the root cause, and thoroughly resolving defects in the event of a problem
A day in the life
Our Data Engineers build and maintain the infrastructure to answer questions with data, using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, data storage principles, and recent advances in distributed systems (e g MapReduce, MPP architectures, NoSQL database. We’re looking for Data Engineer interns to join one of our many lines of business.
About the team
If you’re insatiably curious and always want to learn more, then you’ve come to the right place. Depending on your location, country, job status and other requirements, some or all of the following benefits may be available to you as an intern.
- Competitive pay
- Impactful project and internship/role deliverables
- Hybrid working (team dependent)
- Networking opportunities with fellow interns
- Internships events such as speaker series, intern panels, Leadership Principles sessions, Amazon writing skills sessions.
- Mentorship and career development
If you’re successful during your internship, you could be considered for a graduate role after finishing your university studies
Internship start dates vary throughout the year.
Internship ideal length is 6 months.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and leveraging our unique perspectives to scale our impact and grow. Amazon has 13 affinity groups (https://www.aboutamazon.com/affinity-groups), sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. With executive and company sponsorship, these groups play an important role in building internal networks for creating a community, advising Amazon business units, leading in service projects, and reaching out to communities where Amazonians live and work.
Want to know more about our opportunities? Visit our EMEA Student Programs Team Events page to register for one of our upcoming events: https://amazonstudentevents.splashthat.com/careers
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in computer engineering, computer science, or a similar technical field
- Availability to complete an internship minimum 6 months long working full time week
- Experience with one or more query language (e.g., SQL, PL/SQL, DDL, MDX, HiveQL, SparkSQL, Scala)
- Experience with one or more scripting language (e.g., Python, KornShell)
- Experience with data mining, data warehouse solutions
- Experience with ETL flow and tools
- Master’s or advance technical degree
- Proficient in at least one or more query language, schema definition language, and scripting language
- Knowledge of writing and optimizing SQL queries in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- Experience with data visualization software (e.g., AWS QuickSight or Tableau) or open-source project
- Experience with big data processing technology (e.g., Hadoop or ApacheSpark), data warehouse technical architecture, infrastructure components, ETL, and reporting/analytic tools and environments
- Ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
We prioritize candidates who demonstrate relevant skills for this role. You may wish to attend one of our upskilling events at amazonstudentevents.splashthat.com.
EMEA Student Programs Team<br/><br/>Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.